• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 9 of 9

    Thread: Pics showing how to sex koi?

    1. #1
      Koigrl's Avatar
      Koigrl is online now Senior Member
      is Koigrl is on couch watching
      the snow.
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Zone 6, NY, USA
      Posts
      5,096

      Pics showing how to sex koi?

      Does anyone have pics of boy and girl parts for determining sex of koi?
      thx!



      Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions




      Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

      Updated for the 2017 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

      Twelve seconds that are the entire point of the last seven years!
      https://youtu.be/zNqTJgM3lpY

      If you're reading this, you're on Team Ki.
      Kichi loves company. Max


      K-POTY 2013

    2. #2
      Greg Stienstra's Avatar
      Greg Stienstra is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Location
      Goshen, N.Y.
      Posts
      331
      Quote Originally Posted by Koigrl View Post
      Does anyone have pics of boy and girl parts for determining sex of koi?
      thx!
      In these photos four of the eight are females, 14 months old. I'm no expect only been involved with koi 3 years now. Females will be larger with a fuller wider body. Males will have a slim tapered body. On a male you should see or feel bumps on the forward edge of the pectoral fins and the gill plates should feel rough like sand paper.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

    3. #3
      vipldy's Avatar
      vipldy is offline The Fish Whisperer
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2004
      Location
      Milwaukee,WI
      Posts
      27,413
      Here is a female vent. As you can see the female vent is pink,puffy and what we call an "outie" as it stands out more than a male. Also the shape is more round..Males will have the sand paper or like a guy hasn't shaved feel on the gills but that is mostly when they are in season. Males are also more slender not having the pouch that a mature female has. The male vent is more like a slit than round.

      Marie
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Marie

      Have You Hugged Your Koi Today Ruby's Keeper


    4. #4
      Koigrl's Avatar
      Koigrl is online now Senior Member
      is Koigrl is on couch watching
      the snow.
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Zone 6, NY, USA
      Posts
      5,096
      greg, those dazzling platinums. awesome. marie, thank you for the pics of the vent. what age is that koi? at what age, earliest, could you expect to see this?
      max



      Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions




      Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

      Updated for the 2017 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

      Twelve seconds that are the entire point of the last seven years!
      https://youtu.be/zNqTJgM3lpY

      If you're reading this, you're on Team Ki.
      Kichi loves company. Max


      K-POTY 2013

    5. #5
      Rudy's Avatar
      Rudy is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #1
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      May 2004
      Location
      Really Crooked River Ranch, OR
      Posts
      11,363
      Ya done some good splainin there Lucy ... er Marie.
      W W K C KPOTY 08

      "Ain't that the cutest little bottle of Jack you ever did see?" ... Kathryn Winstead 10/2007 Fall Harvest

      "God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."-- Voltaire

      "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity and make it work for you."-- Frank Zappa

      "There is love of course. And then there's life, its enemy." ... Jean Anouilh



      Member # 106
      MPKS

      12/14/07 I became a B mouth
      Made 10 grand 3/4/2010



    6. #6
      vipldy's Avatar
      vipldy is offline The Fish Whisperer
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2004
      Location
      Milwaukee,WI
      Posts
      27,413
      Quote Originally Posted by Koigrl View Post
      greg, those dazzling platinums. awesome. marie, thank you for the pics of the vent. what age is that koi? at what age, earliest, could you expect to see this?
      max

      I believe she was 16" in this pic..I have a female I swore was a male and then all of a sudden she developed her belly"pouch" So the older they are they easier it is..Of course in the Spring when you see fishing chasing that is a good indication of a male to They also say the more rounded the pec fins are that would likely be a female..Also rumor has it, the yellower the nose more likely a male. Your more aggressive fish to eat good chance a female

      Marie
      Marie

      Have You Hugged Your Koi Today Ruby's Keeper


    7. #7
      vipldy's Avatar
      vipldy is offline The Fish Whisperer
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2004
      Location
      Milwaukee,WI
      Posts
      27,413
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      Ya done some good splainin there Lucy ... er Marie.

      I Like sex I mean sexing koi
      Marie

      Have You Hugged Your Koi Today Ruby's Keeper


    8. #8
      Rudy's Avatar
      Rudy is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #1
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      May 2004
      Location
      Really Crooked River Ranch, OR
      Posts
      11,363
      So what you are basically saying is that there are many traits shared by koi as well as humans when it comes to their gender.

      Male koi and human males tend to not fight over the last spoon of ice cream (see were this is going ). The males will get stubble or rough around the edges when the females are receptive or in the mood. Males, the human kind have no time to shave. Get what you can when you can . Females of both species dictate when it is time to do it (see above).
      Back to the ice cream. Males are slimmer as they get older as compared to the long and massive weight gain of the females.

      The iny/outy thing is not right but I'm working on that.



      You lovely ladies do know that I jest ... you are all lovely and given the chance at Heffs little girls and one that is actually smarter than a box of rocks, I'll take the second because she is surely (don't call me Shirley) more knowledgeable in ALL areas and thusly much more beautiful.
      W W K C KPOTY 08

      "Ain't that the cutest little bottle of Jack you ever did see?" ... Kathryn Winstead 10/2007 Fall Harvest

      "God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."-- Voltaire

      "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity and make it work for you."-- Frank Zappa

      "There is love of course. And then there's life, its enemy." ... Jean Anouilh



      Member # 106
      MPKS

      12/14/07 I became a B mouth
      Made 10 grand 3/4/2010



    9. #9
      vipldy's Avatar
      vipldy is offline The Fish Whisperer
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2004
      Location
      Milwaukee,WI
      Posts
      27,413
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      So what you are basically saying is that there are many traits shared by koi as well as humans when it comes to their gender.

      Male koi and human males tend to not fight over the last spoon of ice cream (see were this is going ). The males will get stubble or rough around the edges when the females are receptive or in the mood. Males, the human kind have no time to shave. Get what you can when you can . Females of both species dictate when it is time to do it (see above).
      Back to the ice cream. Males are slimmer as they get older as compared to the long and massive weight gain of the females.

      The iny/outy thing is not right but I'm working on that.



      You lovely ladies do know that I jest ... you are all lovely and given the chance at Heffs little girls and one that is actually smarter than a box of rocks, I'll take the second because she is surely (don't call me Shirley) more knowledgeable in ALL areas and thusly much more beautiful.

      You got it Never quite compared myself to Ruby or Lacy but I guess I could find some similarities Now is Jerry like Bling?, yes! Jerry is layed back like the chagoi
      Marie

      Have You Hugged Your Koi Today Ruby's Keeper


    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •