Thread: Best position for mounting check valve

chipmaker
    has not specified a status.

Best position for mounting check valve

In the horizontal or in the vertical position..........that is the question?

Close to the pump or far from the pump........I can go either way on mounting it (made for either installation) and can mount close or near the intake suction strainer assembly........

Carloskoi
    only has a 2000 gallon pond now
    vertical, below water level of pond
    pond-2,000 gallon, 20,000 gallon pond is now a pool. 700 gallon reef tank in the living room, my other obsession

OttawaPonder
    Birds r smarter than I - at least they go South for the winter - I moved up NORTH
    Quote Originally Posted by chipmaker
    In the horizontal or in the vertical position..........that is the question?

Close to the pump or far from the pump........I can go either way on mounting it (made for either installation) and can mount close or near the intake suction strainer assembly........
    A check valve - if spring loaded and working fine will work any where in the system (horizontal or in the vertical) plus (close or far) from your pump.

Before and After the pump (anywhere) to keep "prime" - so when removing strainer or to repair/replace said pump.

And should you have the pump below water level on either side - it will keep it from flooding you out LOL....

Now an old style flap (check valve) is another story....
    Tony
    "We were given two eyes, two ears, but only one mouth; so look and listen twice as much as you speak. That way you are sure to learn more!"

keith berland
    Rock my bottom
    Saw the title for this post thought it was something different never mind.

Charlie_23456
    Title...I don't need no stinkin title
    Check valves can be installed vertically or horizontally. If installed horizontally, make sure it is orientated so the 'hinge' is on top...so the flapper hangs down. Best way is to mark with a pen the top of the valve where the flapper hinges and then when installing the valve ensure the mark is facing up on top of the valve.

catson4
    Old Float

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaPonder
    A check valve - if spring loaded and working fine will work any where in the system (horizontal or in the vertical) plus (close or far) from your pump.

Now an old style flap (check valve) is another story....
    OttawaPonder,
    An "OLD TYPE" Flap Check Valve is MUCH BETTER for use in a ponds plumbing system than a "Spring" loaded Check Valve. The spring type require more water pressure to open them than the flap type do thereby reducing the flow for a given pump size.

H.P. :D

Claude

OttawaPonder
    Birds r smarter than I - at least they go South for the winter - I moved up NORTH
    Quote Originally Posted by catson4
    OttawaPonder,
    An "OLD TYPE" Flap Check Valve is MUCH BETTER for use in a ponds plumbing system than a "Spring" loaded Check Valve. The spring type require more water pressure to open them than the flap type do thereby reducing the flow for a given pump size.

H.P. :D

Claude
    Very true I will agree with you on that. But the spring ones hold better (my 1/2 cent worth) :D

As we lose power a lot out here in the STICKS
    Tony
    "We were given two eyes, two ears, but only one mouth; so look and listen twice as much as you speak. That way you are sure to learn more!"