Thread: UV Bulb life span

prestongohlke
    has not specified a status.

UV Bulb life span

So everyone knows that you are supposed to change your UV bulb at least once a year right? Well thats great that we all know what we are supposed to do, however I want to know the whys.

My UV light is one year old and I replaced that bulb, however the old bulb is still lit and appears to be working. So my question is: Why should we spend 50-100 or whatever it may cost to replace a working UV bulb??? Regardless of "what is recommended"

Below is one article that I found talking about UV life span, from what it says most manufactures define it as when the bulb drops down to 70% of its normal output. If you are like me I bought a larger size UV then what I actually needed so 70% efficiency is actually still very good .....

So why replace a UV bulb when its still working?????????

Preston

---------------------

http://www.hvacuv.com/pdf/Introducti...f-UV-Light.pdf

Many factors are associated to the overall lamp life of UVGI Lamps. UV lamp manufacturers have developed
    lamp life ratings for certain types of UV lamps based on set operating currents and ambient conditions. The
    lamp life rating has been established at a point when the lamps intensity drops to 70% of the lamps original
    output. This standard was originally developed for the use of UV lamps for water disinfection, as it has been
    found that if intensities drop below the 70% level, then optimum disinfection may not be achieved. This
    standard has been adopted for many other UV application, however, to date there has not been a standard
    developed specifically for IAQ applications. Some typical lamp life spans are outlined in the table below:

tnthat
    Most people buy the minimum size to clear their pond of algae. If using to clarify only after your pond matures you may only need to run during the spring algae bloom until your filter bio catches up with the ammonia output.
    Tom

Popfish
    Bring a koi keeper- find a friend
    KOI CKK, WWKC Lifer
    If the UV still meets your needs, there is no reason to replace it. You will know soon enough when it does not!
    Charter Lifetime Diamond Member #5 of WWKC

Certified Koi Keeper(CKK)

Cowiche Ponder
    happy to have a fish pond again
    Living my life's dream
    I did not replace my bulbs the first year after installing the UV..actually 2 years. I have a pretty big UV and I guess it was still doing the job. The bulbs will be replaced this year.

Get a spare bulb, but run the old one until it stops working.

Koidaddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Popfish View Post
    If the UV still meets your needs, there is no reason to replace it. You will know soon enough when it does not!
    Yup, I agree with Popfish - Mine is on its third season - only will change once it stops doing its job. Them dang bulbs are expensive, so why throw out too soon.
    Have You Hugged Your Koi Today?

If you want the UV to sterilize the water for some reason, I can see replacing the bulb more or less on the recommended schedule. But if you use the UV as a clarifier, I see no reason to change bulbs until you see something green.

blk90s13
    Another question is how often do you clean the glass sleeves ? a friend was told by a store owner ( pond supply store ) that one should clean the sleeves monthly !?
    KOI newbie

Howell NJ 07731

boggen
    some folks, may only run the UV for a few days or a few weeks of the year. vs non stop like other folks.

each pond is different, some more shade others more sun. different filteration setups, different fish loads, etc.... some folks just don't need to run UV's as long.
    Pond and Construction Forum 101 good place for any first timers to the forum. for finding resources and general info.

Ryan

In allot of areas like here,you only need to use UV for green water in the summer, so you can store your UVs in the winter and get two years or maybe more out of them.
    Using them for 100% sterilization is a different thing. On my 1000 gallon "For Sale" tanks I have a 50 watt UV on each. At 2000 gph this gives me a 100% sterilization. These bulbs I will change every year, but will use them a 2nd year for green water in my other ponds.

cindy
    Never stop learning
    Moderator, WWKC, Koi Health Care Committee Member
    Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

K.O.I.

Member: EIHIOICGI

gray cat
    Is blowing leaves.
    Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    This is what I have always done.
    Nancy

Koiphen 2012 Koi Person of the Year!