PDA

View Full Version : Does koi lay eggs again every year after the 1st time?

Finny
05-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Once the koi laid eggs, does it lay eggs again every year after that?

At the end of April last year, four of my koi lay eggs for the first time. This year their stomachs look big again. These female koi are a little over five year old. Last year during the rough mating ritual, three koi were pushed out of the pond. Luckily, I was able to revise all three. I want to be more prepare this year.

cindy
05-13-2008, 04:40 PM
I vote yes

six6guy
05-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Also depends on if you feed them enough / very much in early spring. One of the tricks to get bigger females is to hold back feeding so they don't develop eggs. The idea is that the food then goes to add length and/or size rather than eggs development and then recovery from eggs/spawn.

I do think, once they are old enough, that they could have eggs every year if you let them.

Brad

Simi Koi
05-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Usually, yes. But some of it has to do with environment. Heavy feeding and warming temps usually trigger egg production. I have found that light feeding in the spring can sometimes prevent spawning and actually gives better growth since all that energy is not lost on the eggs.

moliken
05-13-2008, 05:01 PM
koi had lots of sex in the pond in 06, with the pond up and running less than a year. no spawnings at all in 07. not yet this year, but a few are getting fat. so from my experience, no!

Finny
05-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Thank you for the quick response. I guess I'll have to keep the rails up for a little while longer.