PDA

View Full Version : Injury on Goldfish

Ronin-Koi
02-10-2006, 01:39 PM
One of my goldfish injured itself. I think it must have been skittish and somehow scraped the side of it's head on part of a filter when it ran into it. It's hard for me to imagine how it got this injury, but it is not just a minor scrape. It is a fairly deep scrape/cut and maybe 1/2 inch wide and is a little ragged on one edge where the flesh tore off. It got this injury about a day ago. So far, I see no sign of infection and it swims and eats fine.

On the one hand, I don't want to stress the fish out and wonder if it might heal on its own without me messing with it. But it is a pretty deep cut... Here is the kicker. I will be leaving town Sunday and will be gone for most of a week. While I'm away, the fish can be fed, but that is about it. whatever I do, I have to do it within the next couple days.

I'm looking for recommendations on what to do.
- Is salt a good option? Is 0.15% salt ok? Or higher to avoid infection?
- I have clove oil, hydrogen peroxide, and neosporine antibiotic (the stuff made for people. Is this ok to use on fish?). I got this in case I see any signs of infection. If I treat it, should I cut off the torn edge of skin, or leave it and hope it grows back ok?
- Typically, do these injuries heal back to normal appearance? It is on the head, so no scales are missing or damaged.

- Wayne, not too happy that his new buddy fish got hurt. :( :(

Sonny
02-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Wish I could offer some advice but I don't know enough to help. Maybe you should post it in the Emergency forum.

I sure hope he gets well soon!

koidoc
02-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Wayne,
Ken and I thought just good clean water. Be careful with other fish because they may pick on it. I think salt would be good to. What did he say. He was going to call you.

Ronin-Koi
02-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Wayne,
Ken and I thought just good clean water. Be careful with other fish because they may pick on it. I think salt would be good to. What did he say. He was going to call you.Hi Art,
Yes, I talked to Ken last night. I had left him a message and he called back. I very much respect Ken's opinion and yours. But like in all aspects I like to get lots of opinions and then form my own. Ken suggested not to do anything for now but warm the tank. Keep an eye on it. He asked me to send him photos. What I forgot to tell Ken was that I am going to abandon this girl in a couple days when I leave town, and want to do the most good in the least amount of time.

Yes, this is my new fish. :( She is in quarantine for now in a 20 gallon, but I will have to move her to the big tank soon before I leave. I don't think the other fish will bother her. She is bigger by far than the other two combined.
Thanks for the input. Good idea on posting to emergency.

- Wayne, thinks she is also much nicer and higher quality than the other goldfish and he is already more attached to it than the others. :( Which is why he wants it to heal well.

Shannon66
02-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Hi Wayne,

Yes you can use Neosporin on fish. If you can catch him, clean the wound with a little hydro on a Q-tip then put a liberal amount of Neosporin on the wound. Don't use too much hydro too often. The stuff is really strong. Salt is also a good idea, but I'm not sure of the amount. Keep checking the wound and if it doesn't start healing, you may have to give the fish an antibiotic shot. If you aren't up to giving shots or the fish is just too small, I've used Tricide-Neo which is a powder mixed in distilled water and used as a dip. You can get this at Pondrx.com. It's AWESOME! This stuff works well on deep ulcers caused by bacteria in the pond water. Make sure you FOLLOW DIRECTIONS for the dip. It may be a little expensive, but worth it! Hope some of this info helps.

Keep checking the flap of skin also. You may need to trim this off. Unfortunately the poor guy may have a scar if the wound is deep.

Shannon

Shannon66
02-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Oh I forgot to tell you in my last post Wayne. You can use a laundry basket to put her in if you don't want the other fish to bother her. I used one for a hurt koi I had last summer. I put the basket which had a lid on it in the pond with the lid just below the surface so I could reach it. I did have to put a weight in the basket so it wouldn't roll over. I then put the koi in the basket. He was small and I was also told to put another in with him since koi hate to be alone. This worked great so I could check the koi without chasing him around the pond. If your tank is above ground, perhaps you can figure out a way to hang the basket on the side of the tank, maybe wired to the edge. Just a thought! Good Luck! :D:

Shannon

Ronin-Koi
02-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Hi Shannon,
Thanks for all the great advice. I got the clove oil to knock the fish out, and the hydrogen peroxide to clean the wound. Thanks for letting me know that neosporin is ok for goldfish as well. At this point, it is a question of do I mess with it, or knock it out and try to treat it. I don't have tricide-neo but should order some to have around for things like this.

- Wayne, will remove most of the rocks from the big tank before putting this new fish in with the other ones. He wants to minimize the chance of it running into things until she heals up.

Shannon66
02-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Hi Wayne,

I'm glad I could help. I used the Tricide-Neo on a koi that had a bacterial infection from a ripped dorsal fin. He tore half it off on rocks in my pond. Needless to say the rocks are going this spring with my new pond. Anyway, I had been fighting this wound for a month and using the Tricide-Neo helped it clear up in about 7 days! Just let the fish hang out now and keep a good eye on her. Sometimes you just have to use your best judgment in treating these "finned kids" so to speak. It can be a crap shoot! Have a good weekend!

Shannon :D:

Ronin-Koi
02-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Well, I woke up today to find that the injured fish laid eggs last night! She is by herself in quarantine. She is swimming around quite a bit and is particularly acting "fresh" with the airstone and bubbles. So maybe she was just looking for a man? Maybe this darting around caused her to injure herself?!

- Wayne, has been so indecisive for 2 days now, and in that time, is thinking that some healing has occurred, and is leaning towards adding salt and not trimming as to avoid opening up new skin.

Shannon66
02-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Sounds like shes doing ok. Thats great Wayne.

Shannon